The complete list of Tasmanian wedding venues – Hobart and Southern Tasmania
We are truly spoilt for choice of Tasmanian wedding venues. No matter your style – from lush gardens, historic buildings, stunning beaches, world-class wineries coupled with enchanting forests. There are a surprising range of beautiful and rarely found venues and places to get married on offer in the state.
To assist you in your search for the perfect place, we have put together the complete list of wedding venues in Tasmania.
We’ve included wedding venues in the main city centre of Hobart as well as the suburbs and outskirts of Hobart, Huon, Port Arthur and Richmond, and then all of Southern Tasmania. Seating numbers indicated are based on a sit down dinner and is what the wedding venue has indicated as capacity.
To make your search easier we have segmented these areas. You can easily just click on the links below if you would like to go straight there –
Hobart City Venues – These are venues within the city area
Hobart Surrounds – These are venues within about 10 minutes drive from the city area
Hobart Outskirts – These are venues that are 15 minutes or more and also include those in other areas of Southern Tasmania such as Huon, Richmond, Port Arthur areas etc.
Wedding Venues Hobart
Hobart is a stunning city in Tasmania, the state’s capital, and is located around the banks of the Derwent river. There’s a host of historic buildings, a thriving food/wine wine and arts culture, and relaxed yet contemporary vibes. It probably goes without saying that it offers an array of wonderful wedding venue options and places to get married. With loads of accessible accommodation, and plenty for guests to see and do, a Hobart wedding venue may be the perfect choice for you.
Hobart City Wedding Venues
- Lenna of Hobart Hotel – Heritage listed intimate hotel, c 1874. Small weddings up to 50 guests and also beautiful gardens for a ceremony.
- Hadleys Orient Hotel – Heritage hotel, c 1834. Opposite St David’s Cathedral, up to 100 guests and also a ceremony option inside.
- Henry Jones Art Hotel – A fusion of modern, cultural and also historic. Multiple spaces available with up to 120 guests in Jones & Co room. Undercover atrium option for the ceremony.
- The Old Woolstore Hotel – A block from the waterfront, catering for up to 120 guests in a neutrally toned modern reception room. Also a private rose garden area for a ceremony option.
- Hobart Function and Conference Centre – Located at the end of the Elizabeth Street Pier, with a waterfront view. Larger weddings of up to 250 guests.
- Mawsons Place/ Waterside Pavilion – Contemporary space for cocktail style weddings or smaller weddings. On the waterfront and run by the Hobart City Council.
- Hobart Town Hall – Sandstone iconic heritage building c 1866. The wedding venue is upstairs in the grand reception room. Featured crystal chandeliers, gold gilt mirrors and large pipe organ make for an opulent setting. Capacity of 130 guests and self catering.
- City Hall – Large heritage concert hall up to 600 guests and self catering.
- Hotel Grand Chancellor – Large 12 story conference venue – capacity of up to 700 guests. A number of reception rooms are also available including the popular Harbourview for smaller/medium weddings overlooking the waterfront.
- Baha’i Centre – Elegant domed auditorium available for ceremonies or small wedding receptions. Tranquil space with a private courtyard with gardens.
- Salamanca Inn – Just near Salamanca markets and the St David’s park area, up to 100 guests in their modern reception room.
- Hobart Brewing Company – Has “The Red Shed” rustic style with red velvet curtains and outdoor area, can seat about 80 guests.
- Long Gallery Salamanca Arts Centre – 180 years old, wooden floors, sandstone walls and french windows over Salamanca place. Books out quickly for the Long Gallery. The Founders Room is an alternative and is a similarly styled room for up to 200 guests.
- The Mill on Morrison – A wine and tapas bar also allows for exclusive use of the Atrium and Restaurant. Seating for up to 120 people.
- Succulent at the Royal Botanical Garden – New restaurant for up to 150 guests and with views of the river and Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens.
- Princess Wharf 1 – Large venue seating up to 1300. Modern, industrial style with concrete floors, can be sectioned off for smaller spaces.
- Tavern 42 Degrees South – Known as T42 on the Hobart Waterfront. With the option of outdoor waterside seating or indoor space. Catering for up to 70 guests.
Hobart Surrounds Wedding Venues (within 10 minutes from the city)
- Hockey Tasmania function centre – Located in Newtown with views of Mount Wellington with large glass windows overlooking the hockey field. Capacity of up to 170 guests
- Runnymede – National Trust elegant building, c 1840. Includes large heritage garden and also an indoor music room for ceremonies. Small intimate weddings of up to 50 guests.
- Cornelian Bay Boat House – On the waters edge in Cornelian Bay. There space is a contemporary split level venue for guests to enjoy the view.
- Derwent Entertainment Centre – Option of two venue spaces, with the largest seating up to 400. Comparatively ‘The Astley Room’ offers room to 160 guests and has a large open space and high roof with natural lighting and a separate courtyard area.
- Newlands Reception Centre – Grand building coupled with with sweeping verandahs and gardens, c 1833 for ceremonies. Wedding receptions are also available in the large dining room
- Rydges – (Wed In Tas Recommended Venue) – Boutique, heritage listed, c1889. Two reception room spaces (soon to be 3). Capacity of up to 80 guests, also with garden ceremony area onsite. Exceptional personalised service, perfect for an intimate wedding, with accomodation and ample free parking.
- Hellenic House – Wed In Tas Recommended Venue) – Large venue capable of up to 350 guests, complete blank canvas with plenty of inclusions and setup time available. Wonderfully helpful and friendly event team who are flexible and are equally invested in making your day everything it can be.
- Cascade (Brewery) Gardens Visitor Centre – A part of the oldest brewery in Australia, c 1824 and hosts a modern reception venue up to 120 guests. There are also gardens within the wedding venue for a ceremony.
- The Islington Boutique Hotel – Intimate luxury hotel available for exclusive use up to 22 guests. Also has a large lovely garden and scenery.
- C3 Church & Convention Centre – Large capacity with multiple areas available.
- Battery Point Community Hall (Hall only) – Quaint hall with wooden floors, up to 100 guests. There is also self catering available and a park nearby.
- The Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania – Founded in 1980, located in Sandy Bay and overlooking the marina. Out the front has a grassed area for ceremonies, and free parking is available.
- Derwent Sailing Squadron – On the banks of the Derwent river where you can uniquely arrive on a water taxi or yacht to the venue. Can seat up to 120 guests with a ceremony option on the front lawn.
- Wrest Point Casino – Large capacity venue of up to 650 guests. There are multiple wedding reception rooms available including the classically styled Derwent Room. Many facilities on site, as expected of a large venue, including restaurants, cafes, casino, swimming pool and accommodation.
- Glen Albyn Estate – Overlooking the Derwent river and set on 15 acres. An exclusive boutique venue featuring an atrium and also a pool room with clear acrylic floor. Capacity of up to 150 guests.
- Southern Lights Hotel – Just near Kingston with family accommodation. Function room holds up to 120 people.
Hobart Outskirts and Southern Tasmanian Wedding Venues
North of Hobart
- Bellerive Yacht Club – Overlooking Kangaroo Bay with views to Mount Wellington. The wedding venue can seat up to 160 guests in the Marina Room.
- Motor Yacht Club of Tasmania – In Lindisfarne on the waterfront overlooking the Marina and also the mountains. The function room can accommodate up to 100 guests.
- Claremont RSL – A function room is available that can fit up to 130 guests.
- Blundstone Arena – Large glass wall with sweeping views overlooking the Blundstone Arena (the home of Tasmanian cricket). Outlook is also across the Derwent river. Up to 350 guests with options for smaller spaces.
- MONA – Iconic contemporary museum with a number of spaces including the Eros/Thanatos room for 250 guests. There is also the dramatic Void with an impressive sandstone wall, as well as the Barrel and Organ rooms. Many areas indoor and outdoor also available on-site for ceremonies.
- Shene Estate & distillery – Historic property near Pontville with stone barns and buildings. There are limited wedding and event vacancies each year.
- Elwick Functions and Events – Function venue overlooking the historic racecourse. Seats up to 550 guests in a modern styled space, also with ceremony options on-site.
- Epsom House – Georgian House in Pontville, with conservatory, English gardens and courtyard. Intimate sized weddings of 30 guests can also fit in the ballroom.
- Stonefield – A a historic country farmhouse c 1824 near Brighton. Has a dedicated function room with wooden highlights and a draped fabric ceiling, and gardens for the ceremony.
South of Hobart
- Willie Smith, The Apple Shed (Wed In Tas recommended venue) – A fantastic c 1942 museum and cider house, and is a wedding venue with Tasmanian rustic charm. Seating up to 120 guests within the Apple Shed, or outside in the courtyard and deck area. Ceremony options areas are also on the lawn or inside for a wet weather option.
- Pear Ridge – A modern wedding venue located in Margate, with capacity for 100 guests and also a marquee space for larger weddings. Includes gardens for ceremony options and also many photo opportunities.
- Villa Howden – Luxury boutique chateau style hotel styled in subtle french decor. Gardens with rotunda and courtyards are the perfect backdrop for ceremonies. Capacity for 70 guests in the restaurant and also the available to exclusively book the entire wedding venue.
- Peppermint Bay – Arrive on a catamaran to this venue set on 4 acres on the d’Entrecasteaux Channel. With up to 300 guests looking out over the river, green lawns and large trees. Wedding ceremonies in the gardens are also catered for.
- Woodbridge Hill Hideaway – Secluded wedding venue within the Hideaway known as The Lodge with rock and Tasmanian timber features. Set in amongst 100 acres of Tasmanian forest and also capacity for up to 60 guests.
- Palais Theatre Franklin – Beautiful historic Federation and Art Deco styled concert hall in Huon. With a capacity for approximately 100 guests and also self catering facilities available. There are park spaces around Franklin for an outdoor ceremony.
- Home Hill Winery – Boutique winery in the Huon Valley with a venue space and garden ceremony options.
South East of Hobart
- Barilla Bay Oysters – Lovely water views and space for up to 110 guests. A modern wedding venue with polished wooden floors and also open spaces for ceremony options.
- Wyndham Vacation Resort (Wed In Tas recommended venue) – beautiful relaxed Tasmanian beach venue at Seven Mile Beach that can fit up to 115 guests. Within 55 acres of native gardens so plenty of photo and ceremony opportunities. Ceremonies either on-site in this natural landscape or on the beach itself. A lovely modern style wedding venue with an onsite wedding co-ordinator to assist with planning.
- Steeles Island – Beach island style retreat, with the area inside the venue able to accommodate 50 guests. Self catering is also an option, and ceremony spaces at the beach or bush within the area.
- Bangor Wine and Oyster Shed – Next to the vineyard and overlooking Norfolk Bay in Dunalley. The new rustic wooden ‘shed’ coupled with beautiful views from the deck to the vines.
- Stewarts Bay Lodge – Waterfront chalet style accommodation and venue. Situated near the Port Arthur Historic Site (an equally lovely place to have the ceremony). Venue can cater for up to 80 seated guests within the restaurant area.
East of Hobart
- Pooley Wines – Located in Richmond is this sandstone barn venue, which includes stables and coach house areas. Currently not taking bookings for the barn. Ceremonies and also receptions on the private lawn area are available.
- Puddleduck Vineyard – Situated in the Coal River Valley area. A small boutique vineyard venue of up to 30 guests. Also has a deck that goes over the dam area.
- Frogmore Creek Wines – Large well established wedding and event venue with stunning architecture, overlooking the vineyard and river in the distance. Frogmore is not only an award winning restaurant, but also has highly awarded wines. With high timber ceilings and beautiful scenery it’s an idyllic vineyard setting.
- Riversdale Estate – A newly established French styled venue within vines and olive groves. An opulent French bistro and orangery, along with a private dining room, overlook the vineyard.
- Hatchers Manor – Historical working farm in Richmond, which also has a large 200 capacity venue and gardens. You can arrive to the venue on a horse and carriage, provided by the venue.
- Pedder Wilderness Lodge – A decent but worthwhile two hour drive from Hobart. Beautiful Tasmanian wilderness with tranquil lakes, mountain ranges and equally breathtaking scenery. With 80 accommodation rooms and a large reception room in the Lodge, it’s also lovely as an elopement venue.
In summary, there are many wedding venues that vary in size and style across Hobart and Southern Tasmania. Many of these venues have either accommodation on-site or close by, which means your guests can be easily looked after, especially if you are looking at Tasmania as a destination wedding venue option.
If you are looking for a Australian or Tasmanian wedding planner then please check out our website Wed In Tas. There is also a free member section (which you can use whether you are getting married here or not).
Cheers! – The WIT Team! x x
Wed In Tas – The online wedding planner to make getting married in Tasmania, Australia easier